The population of California is growing at a rapid pace; with this means there are more vehicles sharing our roadways and motorcycles are becoming a more popular choice for commuting. However, some motorists still do not know how to properly share the road with motorcycles. Many car drivers fail to notice motorcycles, or have poor speed-spacing judgment. According to the NHTSA, the number of motorcyclist crash-related fatalities has more than doubled during the past 10 years.
If you’ve been injured by one of these motorists, we at the Levinson Law Group are here to help you get fair compensation for any damages you have suffered and get the justice you deserve.
Call the Levinson Law Group today at 1-866-643-HURT (4878) to speak to knowledgeable personal injury attorney Gordon Levinson and get your free consultation!
Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcyclists are about 26 times more likely to die and 5 times more likely to be injured than people riding in passenger cars, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The majority of accidents involving motorcycles were not caused by the person riding the motorcycle.
The most common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Drivers changing lanes without noticing motorcycles
- Inexperienced motorcyclists
- Loss of control due to obstacles in the road
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
Motorcycle Safety Tips
The single most effective safety measure to prevent severe injury or death during a motorcycle accident is wearing a properly fitted helmet. Some other safety tips for preventing motorcycle related accidents and injuries:
- Share the Road: Motorcyclists should make themselves visible to other motorists and all motorists should be extra cautious around each other.
- Ride within your Limits: Don’t risk unnecessary actions.
- Wearing protective gear: Helmet included!
- Ride Sober: Never ride your motorcycle when you have been drinking. Alcohol greatly affects the motor skills necessary to safely operate a motorcycle (balance, coordination etc.)
- Obey road rules: Speeding is a major cause of motorcycle crashes.
Click here to read the California Motorcycle Handbook for other motorcycle safety information.
Motorcycle accidents can be difficult to determine who was at fault. The cause of the crash may have been rider error, another motorist’s neglect, hazardous objects on roadways, weather and even motorcycle manufacturer defects. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident your time is limited when it comes to seeking justice so it is important to seek legal representation as quickly as possible since evidence must be gathered, and witnesses must be interviewed. You may be entitled to a cash settlement for your property damage, pain and suffering, medical bills, lost past and future earnings and other damages.
Gordon Levinson is an aggressive motorcycle injury lawyer who represents injured motorcycle accident victims for a contingent fee, which means that we only charge a fee if we win you a judgment or a cash settlement. Call the Levinson Law Group at 1-866-643-HURT (4878) today for a free consultation.