Experiences Carlsbad Car Accident Lawyers – (760) 742-5221
Side-impact, or T-bone, collisions can be particularly dangerous for the occupants of a vehicle. These accidents occur when the front or rear of one car impacts with the other car’s side. Since the hit occurs commonly on the doors of the vehicle, there is little protecting for the occupants of the vehicle and they are at risk for severe injuries. The struck car may also spin or roll, which can cause a chain-reaction of accidents and involve multiple cars. The serious nature of these accidents means that they can cause grave injuries. If you’ve been injured in a T-bone accident, contact our Carlsbad auto accident lawyers.
Don’t hesitate to get help. Contact the Levinson Law Group by calling (760) 742-5221.
Our team of Carlsbad car accident attorneys is experienced and proven advocates for those who have been injured in auto accidents. At the Levinson Law Group, we are dedicated to helping our clients receive the compensation they deserve, and we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for clients across California. We are prepared to help your case with personalized legal representation.
The Causes of Side-Impact Accidents
Negligent drivers, illegal actions, poor weather, and a number of other factors can contribute to side-impact accidents. If you are injured in a side-impact accident, it is important for your lawyer to investigate the cause of your accident and find evidence of the other driver’s negligence.
Causes of T-Bone accidents may include:
- Drunk driving. Intoxicated drivers may not stop when necessary, may turn in front of traffic, or may out of their lane and sideswipe another vehicle.
- Reckless driving. Speeding, failing to stop for red lights and signs, pulling out carelessly, failing to check blind spots, and other reckless behaviors may cause side-impact accidents.
- Drowsy driving. Tired drivers may drift out of their lane, fail to stop, or make other mistakes that can endanger other drivers.
- Inexperienced drivers. Teens and new drivers may not have the experience needed to make judgement calls, or may panic and make mistakes which can lead to accidents.
- Failure to stop or yield. Even seasoned, alert drivers can make mistakes. Failing to yield or stop for a signal can result in an accident.
- Turning across traffic and U-turns. Making left turns and U-turns can put a driver at risk of being T-boned.
- Blind curves. Traffic crossing or turning on blind curves can be at risk of an accident.
- Poor visibility. Darkness, fog, rain, blind curves, and other obstructions can make it difficult for drivers to see what’s ahead.
- Distracted Driving. Drivers whose attention isn’t on the road can make mistakes and create dangerous situations.
- Crossing intersections. Intersections are the leading location for side-impact accidents. Drivers may fail to stop or see another driver in the intersection and can hit them or be hit by them.
- Passing or merging. Passing other vehicles can be a cause of sideswipe accidents. Cars who are merging with traffic may also be prone to sideswipes.
- Construction. Road construction often comes with trucks and other vehicles leaving and entering the roadway.
Typically, side-impact accidents occur when one vehicle fails to stop and hits another vehicle that is crossing its path. Busy intersections are a common place for these accidents, but they can also occur in parking lots, at driveways or side streets, and in turn lanes. When turning or approaching an intersection, drivers should take care to yield as required or as is safe.
Injuries of Side-Impact Collisions
Side-impact collisions are unique. Occupants often have little between them and the other vehicle, and the direction of the impact can be different than in other types of accidents, such as head-on collisions. Because the side of a vehicle is less protective than the front or rear, serious injuries are frequently sustained in T-bone accidents.
Common side-impact-injuries are:
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI), back injuries, and neck injuries
- Limb, facial, or torso fractures
- Internal organ damage or abdominal injuries
- Soft tissue damage, bruising, ligament trauma
- Amputations and limb damage
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) and head trauma
- Burn Injuries
Reinforced doors and side curtain airbags are relatively new features that have been widely introduced by automakers over the past decade. These improvements to crash safety can save lives and prevent injuries, but drivers of older cars are lacking the same protections. For children and infants, airbags may also cause more harm than they prevent. Always follow manufacturer instructions and use appropriate restraints for your child’s size and weight to protect them from injury in an accident.
Side-impact injuries may also be fatal. An experienced auto accident lawyer can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit if you have lost a loved one to a car accident. These lawsuits can help pay for final expenses and compensate the family for lost income or other provision that the deceased individual provided for their family.
Liability and Comparative Negligence in California
California has laws that recognize that injured drivers may be partially at fault for their own accident. Comparative negligence laws state that an injured driver can only receive the amount of compensation that is equal to the percentage of fault they are not liable for. If a driver who is making a protected left turn is hit by another driver who ran a red light, it is likely that the first driver will receive the full amount of their claim’s value. If a driver was merging and failed to yield, and was struck by another driver, it is more likely that the driver who was struck will receive less than their total claim value, since they contributed to the accident by failing to yield the right of way.
Find an Experienced Carlsbad Car Accident Attorney - (760) 742-5221
At the Levinson Law Group, we believe in offering compassionate, knowledgeable legal representation to every one of our clients. We work tirelessly to protect your rights, and your needs and interests are our primary concern. Our team of Carlsbad auto accident lawyers can help you file your claim and build your case. We will negotiate on your behalf in settlement discussions and even in court. Let us help you with your claim.