Tips for Sharing the Road with Commercial Trucks from a Wrongful Death Attorney
Losing a loved one in a motor vehicle accident is something you will never completely get over. Any time we lose a family member it is difficult; however, when the death is due to a preventable accident, the grief and anger can be overwhelming. A wrongful death attorney can help you sort through your legal options to hold the person or parties responsible for your loss accountable for their actions.
Over 70% of the deaths and injuries sustained in collisions involving large trucks occur to occupants of other vehicles.
As a wrongful death attorney, I know that commercial truck accidents result in many deaths and tragic injuries each year. During 2013, almost 4,000 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes involving commercial trucks. With such a large percentage of the deaths in commercial truck accidents being occupants in other vehicles, it is important for drivers to know how they can reduce their risk of being in a collision with a large truck.
Can You Avoid A Wreck With A Truck?
Commercial trucks, semi-trucks, and other oversized vehicles operate much differently than your average passenger vehicle. The weight and size of these massive vehicles make it impossible for the driver to handle the truck the same way you handle your vehicle. In addition to the truck’s weight, you also have heavy freight that can sometimes shift during transit making it more difficult for the truck driver to maneuver the vehicle. In order to decrease your risk of being in a collision with a commercial truck, following these tips for sharing the road safely with trucks.
- Do not cut in front of a commercial truck – Commercial trucks are extremely large, heavy vehicles that are unable to stop suddenly. Emergency braking caused by a car cutting in front of a commercial truck can result in a serious truck accident involving several vehicles. When passing a large truck, leave more space than you would for a car in front of the truck before switching back into the lane in front of the truck.
- Watch for blind spots – Commercial trucks have several blind spots, especially when they are turning. Stay visible at all times to avoid a commercial truck accident. A minimum of a four to five car-length distance should be kept at all times when following a truck. You may notice signs on trucks that warn you if you cannot see the truck driver or you cannot see yourself in the truck’s side mirrors the truck driver cannot see you.
- Drive defensively and stay alert – One of the best ways to avoid a collision with a commercial truck is to drive defensively and stay alert. Turn off all electronics and avoid distractions while driving to decrease the risk of being in a crash with a large truck. Avoid driving while fatigued or impaired by alcohol or drugs. You do not want anything to hinder your ability to drive defensively to avoid a collision.
- Obey speed limits in construction zones – You can always reduce your risk of being in a vehicle accident by obeying the speed limit; however, it is especially important to obey the speed limit in construction zones. The distance between the construction areas, construction equipment, workers, and the shoulder of the road is much closer in construction zones. This makes it even more dangerous to drive near a large truck. Keep your distance, slow down, and stay alert.
- Increase your following distance – The more room you leave between you and a large truck the better, especially in inclement weather. Allow yourself plenty of room to stop if the truck wrecks. Also, you want to stay further back because trucks can blow tires and throw road debris up into the air that can hit your vehicle if you are following too closely.
If You Are In A Commercial Truck Accident, Call A Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one in a truck crash, you need an experienced wrongful death attorney to help you with a wrongful death claim. Insurance companies fight truck accident claims aggressively because these types of accident claims tend to be very high due to the severity of the injuries sustained in truck crashes. What can you do to protect your right to receive a fair, just, full settlement for your claim?
You hire wrongful death attorney who has experience handling this type of motor vehicle crash. Gordon R. Levinson used to represent the largest insurers in North America. Now he uses that knowledge and experience fighting for injured and aggrieved people against the big insurance companies. Put his experience and insider knowledge on your side.
We represent clients throughout California. Contact our office at 1-760-827-1700 or use our convenient online contact form to ask a question or to schedule a free consultation. The Levinson Law Group works to make our community safer and better for everyone by fighting to reduce accidents caused by reckless and distracted drivers and working with volunteer and charity organizations to help those in need while fighting for our clients’ right to receive justice as they continue to heal from life-altering injuries.