Wrongful Death Lawyer Discusses How to Spot Drunk Drivers
As a DUI wrongful death lawyer, I see the destruction caused by DUI accidents and the terrible loss experienced by the families of drunk driving accidents. Something must be done to decrease the number of DUI accidents on our roads.
DUI accidents or drunk driving accidents continue to be a terrible problem in California and throughout the United States. Despite local, state, and federal drunk driving campaigns, some drivers continue to make the choice to drive after consuming alcohol. According to the Centers for Disease Control, from 2003 through 2012, 10,327 people died in drunk driving crashes in California.
Tips for Avoiding DUI Accidents
You cannot control what another driver does while on the road; however, you can take precautions to help avoid being the victim of a DUI accident. Knowing what to look for and how to spot a drunk driver is one of the most important things you can learn to help keep you and your family safe on the road. Below are several tips for spotting a potentially drunk driver from the behavior the driver is exhibiting while driving.
What Should You Do If You See A Drunk Driver?
- Weaving continuously from one side of the road to the other side of the road.
- Straddling the center lane or a lane marker.
- Driving extremely too slow for conditions.
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or driving on the shoulder of the road.
- Braking frequently and/or erratically.
- Driving without headlights or driving with caution lights blinking for no apparent reason.
- Following another car too closely.
- Making extremely wide turns or cutting turns too closely causing the car to run onto the curb or hit/narrowly miss objects.
- Passing cars too closely and/or narrowly missing cars and other objects.
- Constantly signaling what the driver intends to do but then never follows through with the turn, stop, etc.
- Stopping inappropriately such as crosswalks with no people in them or near them or stopping for green lights.
If you do spot a suspected drunk driver, never try to approach this driver or pull the driver over. Contact 911 immediately to report the driver. Never try to pass a suspected drunk driver to “get away” because a drunk driver is extremely unpredictable and could swerve at you without notice. While you want to protect others, your first priority is to protect yourself and your family. If you continue to follow the driver, remain at a safe distance let the officers you called take control of the situation.
Have You Lost a Loved One in a California DUI Accident?
The Levinson Law Group extends our deepest sympathies to the families of DUI accident victims throughout California. Losing a loved one is never easy; however, losing a family member to a drunk driver is also frustrating. Family members are often filled with rage at the other driver for taking such a terrible chance of hurting another person by choosing to get behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking. A monetary judgement will never bring your loved one back; however, filing a wrongful death lawsuit can provide some measure of justice for your loved one and closure for those left behind.
Contact an Experienced DUI Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has a drunk driver taken the life of your family member? Are you struggling to cope with the senseless loss of a loved one long before it was time for him or her to leave your family? Is the pain of losing someone so close deepened and intensified because the loss was due to a completely preventable act? Do you dream of holding the drunk driver responsible for his or her poor choices that lead to the untimely death of your loved one?
If you have lost a loved one, the wrongful death lawyer of The Levinson Law Group can help you seek justice for you, your family, and your loved one. We represent clients throughout California. Contact our office or use our convenient online contact form to ask a question or to schedule a free consultation.