Burn Injuries: When to Involve an Attorney
Every year there are more than 1.1 million burn injuries that require medical attention in the United States. These injuries are often painful and can potentially have a heavy impact on the injured person’s life and ability to engage in his or her daily routine. Not only are burn injuries painful, but they can also cause severe scarring. If you suffered burn injuries caused by someone else’s negligence, you have a right to pursue compensation and should seek the legal assistance of a skilled personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Causes of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries can be caused by a wide range of things, though someone incidents are more common than others. Some of the most common causes of burn injuries include chemical burns, hot liquid burns, and exposure to open flames. Additionally, there are varying degrees of burn injuries:
- First Degree Burn: This is generally a minor injury. When one sustains a first degree burn, the outer layer of the skin is burned, though it does not go all the way through to the tissue.
- Second Degree Burn: When one sustains a second degree burn, the first and second layer of skin is burned, causing blisters to develop. Victims of second degree burns also experience excruciating pain and swelling.
- Third Degree Burn: This is one of the most serious types of burns a person can sustain. Every layer of skin is burned, which might also result in permanent tissue damage. It is also possible for fat, muscle, and even bone to be affected by a third degree burn. If smoke inhalation occurs, a burn injury victim might also experience carbon monoxide poisoning or other toxic effects.
Compensation for Burn Injury Victims
The sooner you hire a burn injury attorney, the sooner you can fight for the compensation you deserve. Compensation for burn injury victims can include:
- Current and future expenses
- Lost wages or loss of work due to injuries
- Compensation for current and future pain, disability, and permanent disfigurement
Carlsbad Personal Injury Attorneys
If you or a loved one suffered a severe burn injury that was caused by the negligent actions of another party, you deserve skilled legal representation to help obtain compensation on your behalf. At the Levinson Law Group, we have represented injury victims throughout North San Diego County for more than 40 years combined and would be honored to do the same for you.
Contact our office today at (760) 742-5221 to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable member of our Carlsbad legal team.