Carlsbad Dog Bite Attorney
40 Years of Legal Experience & Results-Driven Representation on Your Side
While it may not seem like it happens very often, each year there are an estimated 4.5 million dog bite victims in the United States. Half of these incidents involve children and an animal owned by a victim’s family or a neighbor. Typically, an individual that has been bitten or attacked by another person’s dog may legally recover any damages caused by the attack from the animal’s owner or other responsible party. Under the California “Dog Bite Statute” in CA Civil Code Section 3342, dog owners are responsible for the damage their pets cause, regardless of whether the dog owner was negligent or not.
Our team at the Levinson Law Group can provide you with a free consultation to discuss your legal rights. Call a Carlsbad attorney from the firm now at (760) 742-5221.
Dog Bites: Know Your Risk
Anyone can be bitten by a dog but studies show the people at the highest risk for dog bites are:
- Children: Children are at the highest risk of being injured due to a dog bite, especially children ages five to nine years old. The majority of dog bite-related injuries amongst children involved being bitten in the face.
- Male Adults: Men are more likely to be bitten by a dog compared to women.
- Dog Owners: Owning a dog in your home increases your chances of being bitten. Individuals that own two or more dogs in their household are five times more likely to be bitten.
Preventing Dog Bites
Dog bites are not limited to the breed. Any breed of dog has the potential to bite. Below are some simple suggestions to help prevent dog bites.
Before bringing a new dog into your household:
- Research different breeds that may be the best fit for your family and home. Some things to consider include the amount of space you have available, the amount of time you have for a dog, and other pets you already own.
- Ensure you spend time with the particular dog you are looking to bring into your home before you bring them home! Introducing each family member to the dog before it is in your home is also important so that the dog will be familiar with everyone once placed in its new environment.
- If you have children, pay attention to the interaction between them and the dog before bringing a dog into your home. Dogs who display aggression towards people in general are not suitable for a household with children.
Bringing a dog into your home:
- Spaying / neutering your dog is good for reducing aggressive behavior and their tendency to run away
- Never leave infants or young children alone with your new dog
- Properly socializing your dog with other dogs will help them learn how to interact with others
- If your new dog displays aggressive behavior, seek professional advice from veterinarians, dog trainers, and other experts who can determine the cause and offer solutions
We Are Here To Help. Call the Levinson Law Group Today.
If you have been bitten or otherwise injured by a dog, you may be entitled to a cash settlement for your medical bills, pain and suffering, lost earnings and other damages. At the Levinson Law Group, we represent injured dog bite victims for a contingent fee, which means that we only charge a fee if we win you a judgment or a cash settlement.
Call the Levinson Law Group today at (760) 742-5221 for your free consultation, or use our online form to contact a Carlsbad personal injury lawyer from our firm.